Great works of art are created in artists’ best moments in life, with the human existence achieving the utmost harmony between spirit and matter. These works communicate the position of the existence of an individual who has overcome the obstacles on the path towards freedom and love and this position is radiated onto the ones observing this image.
EXPERTS ON ALENKA SOTTLER'S WORK
»Her work is inventive, visually appealing and drawn with faultless confidence. She is contemporary in style but also well-versed in the history of visual imagery and the imagery of power, meaning and clarity.«
Professor Walter King, Columbus College of Art and Design, USA
»I remain amazed, astounded. I almost didn’t know what to say. I had not known of Alenka Sottler. And then this book arrived, so pristine, intense, delicate, alluring, yet – at the same time – clear, precise, classical … Firmly grounded, but also – through the magic which is given to great illustrators – vibrant.«
Walter Fochesato, Italian critic
»Alenka Sottler is one of the most important European illustrators in this moment.«
Livio Sossi, Professor of the History of Literature for the Young, University of Udine
- Alenka received much recognition for her work: nomination for ALMO, two nominations for the world highest award in the field of illustration, ANDERSEN AWARD, GRAND PRIX at Croatian Biennial of Illustration in Zagreb, Golden Apple in Bratislava and a Golden medal for book illustration at the Yearly exhibition SI 2016 in the Museum of American Illustration in New York. Her professional path is still rising high and only keeps getting better with years.
- Alenka's work can be found in many books and museum collections, for example the collection Il Colore dell sacro in Museo Diocesano in Padova, the BIB collection in Bratislava, the private online collection of illustration and book covers 50 Watt, the online illustration collection of Nortwesteren University Library in Chicago, International Center of Graphic ARTS MGLC, Ljubljana, the collection of original illustration and picture books in Šentrupert, the collection of illustration in the gallery of Šivičeva hiša in Radovljica, the online art collection https://curiator.com/art/alenka-sottler.
- Her graphics, prints and originals are putting forward museum standards regarding maintenance, labelling, reproduction, as well as limited editions, which is why their value keeps on growing.
HER WORK IS UNIQUE DUE TO:
"Because of moving away and thinking in-depth, she developed a very rich personal world,” stated Matjaž Vipotnik once. She has the ability to insightfully look deep under the surface and see the real causes and consequences and this ability is accompanied by an infallible sense of righteousness, balance, and beauty. Typical for her is the sculptural impression that she brought from her father’s sculptural studio in her childhood.
- Sense of visual word forms
Since her youth, Alenka was surrounded by books, comic books, and magazines brought home by her mother, an employee of the biggest Slovene newspaper-graphic company DELO. On the basis of this, she developed an exceptional sense of intertwining word and visual art. Her sense of language, of people, and of diversity is the result of Slovenia being located at the linguistic crossroads of Romance, Germanic, and Slavic language groups, as well as Hungarian language on another side. This makes Slovenia, as once said by a Guardian journalist, the bellybutton of Europe.
Alenka is always inventing new techniques. Her inventions are connected to the in-depth understanding of the functioning of nature and materials. The buyers of her work are usually illustrators themselves, captivated by her techniques rousing their curiosity.
- Entireness and complexity
Her pieces of art are defined by an integrated approach, being both realistic and abstract, spatial and flat. They are paintings, illustrations, and drawings at the same time. Alenka’s work never rejects tradition, but integrates it.
- Contemporaneity and historicalness
Alenka’s works are both historical and contemporary. She is masterfully skilled in the renaissance style of building a painting; yet she is at the same time acquainted with all the currents of the contemporary art, never throwing away the old on the expense of the new and always creating on the basis of integration.
Despite the fact that Alenka collects and appreciates art of numerous nationalities, she remains a Slovene artist and illustrator above all and never runs away from specificities and characteristics of the Slovene space.
Her sense of graphic image may have been influenced by the world graphic biennale in Ljubljana, where she has always been acquainting herself with the best world graphic production.
A strong component of almost all of Alenka Sottler's work is its time dimension. Most of the work was being created extremely slowly, thus imitating the construction of mechanisms in nature. We could say that time has been stored in them.